Skin care ramble..

Last week I had an urge, that urge was to thread the tiny little hairs above my eyebrows which I never ever do. My suspicion led me to have nicely groomed eyebrows and baby spots above my eyebrows which were actually quite painful. Through Twitter I learned a few tips:
  • Never have a hot shower after you torture your eyebrows.
  • Try using baby powder on the area before you start threading.
  • Use a toner, ice or aloe vera gel to calm your skin.

Lesson learned, hopefully the next time I shouldn't have that problem. Anyway, on a whim, whilst at Liberty's I decided to purchase the Kiehl's 'cucumber toner', as I read in a magazine that Diane Kruger uses it to soothe her sensitive skin.

What do I think so far? It's 'nice', however for an alcohol free toner it's extremely astringent, it hasn't broken me out or dried my skin out, however it's only been about 1 week.


I also talked myself into buying the new 'Midnight recovery concentrate', which is made from 99.8% natural ingredients. (paraben, fragrance and mineral oil free) It's a lightweight oil based formula that easily absorbs into your skin overnight. It has evening primrose oil, squalane and essential oils of lavender


I apply 2-3 drops every night on it's own, I love how it feels on my skin and it feels and looks like my skin is more radiant and smooth. If it turns out to be a miraculous product I will do a more in depth review.


After my last skincare post where I mentioned I was a skincare nerd, I was asked if I wanted to have a read of Liz Earle's 'Skin Secrets' book... I accepted and wanted to share my thoughts with you as I really enjoyed it.


Love the photograhpy!


The book covers a wide array of subjects ranging from identifying your skin type, plant oils & essential oils that are beneficial to the skin, caring for your skin, what makeup to wear for your age, solutions for skin problems, what to eat for healthy skin, fitness, the importance of relaxing and a whole lot more.
I love that this book isn't focused on Liz Earle's skin care brand and selling her products, and instead focuses on actually guiding us to help us with our skin. I loved reading it and would recommend it to anyone who wants to really improve the way they treat their skin.


What new things have you been doing with your skin lately?

FYI:
My lack of posts recently is due to the holy month of Ramadan, fasting is going well - I have been sticking to all things healthy with the odd cheat :) I am going to try my best to do some hijab looks as I have been going to the mosque and I think it will be interesting for you to see how I wear it.

Disclaimer:
I was sent the 'Skin Secrets' book for consideration for review, I did not get paid to blog about it and I am not affiliated with the brand.

Comments

Eiliyah said…
Nothing, I'm too scared to do anything new to my skin because I'm afraid I'll break out :s
nice post!
Lived With Love said…
I've gone right back to basics. just cleanse, tone and moisturise and my skin has got better! xx
Unknown said…
Muhsine do you know how to thread? I've tried to learn it but sooo hard. Please do a tutorial on it PLEASE PLEASE!

http://tugbaseckin.blogspot.com/

http://tugbaseckin.blogspot.com/

http://tugbaseckin.blogspot.com/
Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
i haven't changed my simple cleanse + tone + moisturize regimen in around 3 months because my skin became MEGA sensitive and stayed that way for like, 7 months.

i feel like my skin's becoming a bit "tougher" again, but i don't want to risk another skin meltdown. that being said, there are a few serums i want to introduce to my routine, the midnight recovery concentrate serum included. can't wait to read a more in depth review of that!

-dani
http://callitbeauty.blogspot.com/
dekerotti said…
hi. i have some quality rosehip oil for my skin, but i dont really know how to use it. does your book say anything about this? i will really appreciate! thanks.
Anonymous said…
I'm putting some drops of cold lemon on my sun marks every other night as I heard it's good for it but they say it will take time to see any change. Do they say anything about managing uneven skin tone in that book? Do you know any tips? I'm desperate for a solution.

Good for you for keeping up with the Ramadan fasting..I imagine it's really hard.
XXX
Noris said…
I missed your blog posts so much!! I'm dying to try the Midnight Recovery, but it won't be sold in Spain until September. Could you please list the ingredients? I don't seem to find them anywhere!!
meganelena said…
Good choice on the Midnight Recovery Concentrate. I have been using it every day that I am more dry and I love it. Smells really nice as well!
BeautyLoves said…
I recently did a review on the Midnight Recovery Concentrate - I like it a lot, but if you have more oily skin, it's not for every day use.
I also tried a new Kiehl's toner and I switched to a Clinique moisturizer, although I'm going back to my Estée Lauder one because that one was much better for my skin.
Houda said…
Would love to see your hijab looks!!

I love using witch hazel on my skin and rose water. I mix the 2 together. I'm 30 and don't look a day over 21 (ha!)

Very long time reader, first time commentor!
Muhsine Emin said…
@Tugba yes I do, I will try and post on it :)

@dekerotti I use rosehip seed oil by neals yard, I would recommend using it as a night time treatment maybe 3X a week, massage it into your skin on its own.

@Mercedes lemon juice is great, I posted about it before. Rosehip seed oil is great for fading scars, lavander is great for balancing your skin.

@Noris, ahhh I should have taken a photo of the list of ingredients, I will blog about it again, with a more in depth review. :)

@meganelena It's fantastic, smells amazing too!

@Perfectly Unordinary Oh great, I'll check it out, my skin is normal/combo it's been ok so far, but I think it works well with the toner for now.

@Houda Yay, a first time commenter, that's great thank you. ps I love rosewater. :)
Hinna said…
Those tips are all great! Aloe vera is a must have for me after my laser hair removal treatments! And would love to see hijab posts too xx
Meeta said…
I used to get those spots when I threaded on my face, but I used some of Liz Earle's Spot On to prevent this and it works very well. I was eyeing that Kiehl's serum in Selfridges but I have so many night products to use first.
Taryn said…
I've always wanted to try out some Kiehl's products cause they have had such positive reviews. I've been sticking to a combo of Burts Bees and Shiesedo products that seem to work pretty well for my skin, however I'm always wanting to try new things
Houda said…
wow 2 houdas here and spelled the same as me lol I was begining to worry about u muhsine waiting for a blog post from u, but Im glad ur absence is for a good cause :) I will be going tarawih soon near the last ten day mark becuz I have uni work :( keep the posts coming im excited to see ur hijab posts especially with ur own little touch on it xxxxxxxx
Sami said…
Please do a review on the Midnight Recovery because I'm in two minds whether to buy it... and Ramadan Mubarak! xx
Andee Layne said…
i am a HUGE khiels fan esp because i have crazy sensitive skin! Ive been wondering about that midnight recovery product...cant wait for your in depth review xoox
Sheefa F said…
I have a hard time threading myself so I've gota coax my mum to do it for me all the time lol. Baby powder always works well before threading.

We would love to see the hijab looks Mushine. Have a lovely Ramadan.

Shifa
x
Houda said…
Houda: LOOOL I don't think I have ever met another Houda. Plenty of Hoda's or Huda's, but never Houda!

Oh, and I always thread too. Its so easy and quick!
heartsnrockets said…
I get blackheads where I thread my upper lip : (
I'll have to try something on it after I thread, see if it will calm it down. I'm always tempted to squeeze them out and just end up irritating them and then they get puss in them....it's really gross but I can't help picking! You have such flawless looking skin, wish mine was like that
Parisa said…
Ooooh, can't wait to see these hijab looks! xx
I changed all my routine and buy Kiehl's too, but the Açai line, it's fabulous. I love it. I had a terrible rash in July, I learned that I'm allergic to propylene glycol. And this stuff is really natural and without it.
Riham said…
Muhsine! Ramadan Mubarak! I hope you are having an amazing Ramadan so far! Im so excited to see your hijab looks! Im sure you look amazing in it! mashallah!
Anonymous said…
i would LOVE to see your hijab looks. you have great style! ramadan mubarak
fantastic said…
i'm looking forward to your hijab looks ;) i love these posts on the skincare books..i'm a nerdy reader too :) xx
Nadia said…
Have you heard of Boscia? I've been using the 'Purifying Cleansing gel'; It's perservative free, I.e Parabens, and it's very gentle on the skin/non drying. I really like it (=
stargazer said…
Love Love Love your blog...
beeroyal said…
I really want to try some of the skincare line.. great post hun. :)

ps. ive tagged you.. check it out... http://beeroyal.blogspot.com/2010/08/tag-about-me.html
Anonymous said…
I love the Cucumber Toner. I have oily skin but I have found this to be the best!
Chloe said…
Can't wait to see these hijab looks, I'd love to see how you style it! I bet you look still look beautiful and stylish in it as well :)

Popular Posts