Lush 'Big' and 'Curly Wurly' Shampoo Review!

'BIG' Shampoo!

I have been using 'Big' for a few months now, I can safely say it does add volume and make your hair "big" like it claims to whilst adding shine. However, I found that if you continue to use it, it doesn't work as well as it did when you first tried it and it can also be REALLY drying. It is a really clarifying shampoo, meaning it does strip some of the colour from your hair as it contains sea salt. If you have just dyed your hair darker and want to lighten it, this would be a great alternative to using an anti dandruff shampoo. I think that this shampoo would work wonders on natural hair colour without damage, saying that... I STILL love it and would continue to repurchase but not use it as regularly.


With this in mind, on my previous Lush trip - I explained my problem and the sales assistant recommended 'Curly Wurly' which I have been using for about a month.


'CURLY WURLY' Shampoo!

According to Lush, Curly Wurly is to control thick curly hair. My hair is thick but not 'curly' more like straight with dreaded kinks. I was assured that any hair type that was dry could use it as it's a conditioning shampoo with coconut and vanilla. Curly Wurly does make your hair softer without drying it out. However, the coconut chunks are a bit hard to wash out. The only problem with this is that if you use it too often it can make your hair greasy quicker.


The solution? Alternating between shampoos, sometimes I use 'Big' if I need a thorough clean, and if I'm feeling my hair is looking dry I use 'Curly Wurly. If I think my hair is normal then I mix the two together which also works beautifully. This may seem like too much effort, but I honestly don't mind. I quite enjoy having 2 shampoos to choose from and plan on carrying on with this combo unless I find something better! :)

Have you tried these shampoos? If so, what do you think and what are your favourite Lush shampoos?

Comments

ellamarie84 said…
I have wanted to try 'big' for soo long! And I've never heard of 'curly wurly', but coconut and vanilla sounds pretty good to me :)
India said…
It sounds good enough to eat...slightly worrying that I want to eat shampoo! hehe xx
MediterraneanX said…
I love the Big shampoo, but with dyed red hair I can only use it once in a while for fear of stripping all the colour :(
Anonymous said…
Strange u shuld post this. I brought CW jst this am after ure comment in tag post.lookin 4ward 2 trying it! I like Retread conditioner+ave also tried a couple of pre-shampoo treatments+they worked v.well but I cant afford to use them every time I wash my hair. I'm curious about the solid shampoo bars but cos of my exts, they are a no go@ moment.
AllThingsGirly said…
I;m loving big for the reason you mentioned because my hair is a tad too dark for my colouring so i;m using this to strip the colour to a lighter shade & it's working a dream...

I've used curly wurly but couldn/t get on with it due to not being able to wash all the white bits from my hair very off putting and not something i can use when i need to wash my hair quickly & be out the door :(

I was told to brush my hair with a comb as i was washing my hair as this will comb out all the bits but this takes too much time for me...

The range i am loving most is the aussie range it makes my hair super soft & shines like no other i have used before. Doesn't leave it dry nor make it greasy which i love.
Jenny said…
I use the curly wurly and agree- It can be tough to get those chunky bits out of the hair, and it's a little "oily". I love the smell and I love how it makes my hair feel but when I dry it curly and use this shampoo it makes it frizz a bit :(
Thanks for the review, it was very helpful. I was looking at both of these when I was in LUSH last week and was considering trying one of them, but wanted to see more reviews before I picked which one and this was helpful. I think I may try the Curly Wurly!
fantastic said…
I use both of these, and enjoy them for pretty much the same reasons. Yes, it takes a little longer to get the coconut pieces out of my hair, but it's easily solved by rinsing longer. Sometimes, I think the CW actually volumizes my hair more than Big!
Nikki said…
It must be working for you because your hair always looks beautiful and especially really shiny! :)
Evee said…
haha I'm only starting to get into the whole Lush thing (:
Big shampoo sounds good even though my hair is dyed (been wanting to strip some of the colour anyways) so I might try it. Thanksss :)
I love both Big and Curlywurly. I used to work at Lush, and through my haircare training was told that these shampoos were both best used as once a week/twice a week etc not for everyday use.

xoxo
Nav said…
i want to try both these shampoos, the reviews really helped! x
Anonymous said…
I love big, curly hair. Thanks for the reviews!
Sheefa F said…
oh wow mixing the two would be a perfect idea :) thanks for the review hun!
Muhsine Emin said…
Glad the reviews were helpful :)

@India lol :) x

@essjay23x I agree, I havent tried a full size retread yet, but veganise and american dream were a bit meh!

@Jody yes curly wurly def requires a lot of effort and wouldnt be great if you were in a rush!

@Prettyface oh no, frizz? maybe some serum? x

@fantastic totally agree, curly wurly is also quite volumising :)

@Nikki thank you :)

@dreams that glitter fantastic, I like to wash my hair every other day, using big everyday would be CRAZY!
Muhsine Emin said…
@Shifa yes both of them mixed together are lovely :)
Kerri said…
I have Cynthia Sylvia Stout shampooand I absoultely adore it. Imo it smells amazing....lemony and earthy. It has one sulphate but no SLS so have not noticed colour fade. Also found my hair lasts longer between washes and is uber soft. Definately recommend!!
Claire said…
Thanks for the reveiw! Tempted to try it but worried about my hair colour! Lol xxx

Popular Posts