Pregnancy Skincare!

This is such a tricky subject to cover in one post. Skin care is hard enough to figure out for anybody and when you are pregnant everything becomes 10x more confusing.

The first few months of my pregnancy my skin became very oily and quite spotty due to the hormones racing through my body. Did you know that a pregnant woman produces as much hormones as a non pregnant woman would produce in 150 years? Crazy, I know!

I will be 21 weeks pregnant tomorrow and for the past month my skin has been VERY dry, not just average dry but flaky and disgusting dry, so much so that any makeup I put on it made it look worse. FYI: The dryness was not due to the Clinique toner because I wasn't even using it. It's just the hormones going bananas. Pregnant women's skin becomes incredibly sensitive! Anyway, after discovering some Avene products I purchased last week, my skin looks AMAZING, in fact I haven't seen it look better in years.

KISSES TO AVENE!


My skin is super smooth, and all of the spots have cleared up completely. In the picture below I am wearing a thin layer of the Mac Studio Sculpt foundation applied with my fingers. The past few days I have only been applying foundation to the centre of my face like I would concealer.

The key to pregnancy skin care is to buy products with as little ingredients as possible!


CLEANSING - Pregnant women should look for products suitable for sensitive skin, hypoallergenic and non comedogenic. Here's what I use...

Avene Cold Cream Soap Free Cleansing Bar: I use this to wash my face, it's great for sensitive skin and balances the PH level of your skin.

Avene Extremely Gentle Cleanser: I use this at night to take my make up off, I apply with a cotton pad and wipe away. It's a non rinse off formula so great for when you need to be quick.

Avene Gentle Gel Cleanser: I use this every other night with my Clarisonic to give my skin a deep clean.



TONING - Personally I don't think toning is essential as long as you have cleansed properly, but it's a nice treat for your skin! I use..

Avene Thermal Spring Water - I sometimes use this just before I apply my moisturiser and to freshen up and keep cool during the day.

Lush Eau Roma Water - This contains lavender and rose water and is ideal for sensitive skin. I like to use this at night time as I feel my skin really soaks it up. I also carry it in my hand bag and whip it out when I'm feeling hot and irritated.



MOISTURISING - This is my favourite part of any skin care routine as I just love a freshly moisturised face.

Avene Rich Skin Recovery cream - This is a life saver, after one application my skin looked miles better. It's amazing for sensitive and irritated skin that's prone to redness, it helps to restore the hydrolipidic film and is specially developed with a minimum of ingredients. I use it morning and night. FYI: If the foundation or TM I will be wearing during the day doesn't contain SPF when I will use a different moisturiser that does.

Avene Soothing Moisture Mask - I sometimes use this as a night time moisturiser if my skin is feeling extra dry, when I wake up in the morning my face is soft, supple and glowing. I also use it as a mask right after a shower to soothe and calm my skin. After 3 applications, the disgusting dry flakes on my face were restored to a smooth surface , a big thumbs up!


CARING FOR YOUR BODY DURING PREGNANCY

I am still vigorously using the Body Shop body butters, every time I walk past a store I pick up a new scent. My current favourite is the satsuma option, I apply this all over my body every single day after my shower.

On my bump, thighs and breast area I then apply the Neal's Yard Mother's Balm every day. I have almost finished my 1st tub, and will be picking up a 2nd tub soon! So far, so good with no stretchmarks to report, but I'm not that far stretched yet, my belly button is still an 'innie'! :)



Have you had to change your skin care when pregnant or are you one of the lucky ones that have stayed 'normal'? Also, have you tried any Avene products?

Comments

shoe devotee said…
This post is awesome. Thank you so much. I'm not pregnant but unfortunately I have really dry skin. I've tried dozens of products but nothing seems to satisfy. I think I might have a go at these products as well. By the way, you look great no matter what. I wish you and your baby the best. :)
Muhsine Emin said…
@Shoe devotee aww thank you, you must try the soothing mask it's truly amazing for dry skin! X
EllysMakeupbag said…
I love avene products, i use them since maybe 10 years and my mum and grandma too. Along with la roche posay, they make the best skincare imo.
Rosalyn said…
I've tried an Avene moisturser that I loved and really want to try more of the range- it all looks great from this post! Congratulations on your pregnancy btw xx
Εvi said…
I'd love to try this cleansing bar by Avene- I recently discovered the virtues of soap bars (gentle on skin, few ingredients, AND cheap!), although I've read some remarks that they leave some residue on the skin?!?

The body butters by TBS are so iressistible! You can shoose between so many scents for 3 different skin types, ah just love them! My favourite was the discontinued Almond... I hope TBS will relaunch it some day, I'd stock up a whole drawer out of these! lol

xx
Jessica said…
you're looking glowing! :) avene products are fab, i have eczema and they're amazing for relieving the itchiness or dryness xx
HeavenNRJ said…
I had a problematic skin before the pregnancy and still have some occasional breakouts. What is different now - skin cells regenerate much faster, i.e.it looks as if I have different skin every day, if that makes sense. And the problem is that I have no idea what my skin type currently is, because in the morning it looks normal, during the day -oily and in the evening dry! Did you ask for the advice in the pharmacy? I'm currently using Efaclair range from La Roche Posay, but would consider changing it, I'm almost done with the cleanser (200 ml took me almost 6 months to finish, while I changed three 30 ml moisturisers during the same period). Great post! Thank you!
Unknown said…
your skin looks flawless! hope all is well with you & baby!

xoxo,

insidelook19.blogspot.com
Muhsine Emin said…
@HeavenNRJ I would say to use products suitable for sensitive skin, not aimed at dry or oily skin types. It will normalise, the avene cold cream soap free bar is a great cleanser that's ideal for sensitive skin as it also balances the PH level of your skin. x
Anonymous said…
I have found my face to be rather dry at the moment, and a lot of break outs which I'm putting down to hormones.

Ive been using Bio Oil and body butters mainly on my body trying to keep everywhere moisturised.

Stretch marks have already started to appear and I'm only at 22 weeks, but I think it's just the type of skin I have because I have got stretch marks in the past. I'm trying not to get bothered too much about them because it's a part of pregnancy and theres more things to worry about.

I hope all is going well for you and baby :) x
Katie said…
I'm not pregnant, but I have hyper-sensitive skin so I know what it's like. Skincare shopping is a nightmare because I dread having any reaction to a product. My reactions tend to be BAD.

I don't know if you have these in the UK, but I use the Ultracalming range from Dermalogica. I use the cleanser, toner and mask as well as the barrier repair. For my body, I use Aveeno Daily Moisturizing Lotion (which has 8 ingredients? It's super small). It really calms down my skin and moisturizes deeply for me. I've never used Avene though.
Anonymous said…
Your skin looks amazing!! I'm 15 weeks pregnant right now and my skin is going crazy! I have so many spots and am so much oilier than normal. Ugh...
your skin looks amazing xx

www.victoria-gabrielle.com
Asiya said…
I tend to have normal skin, but during my pregnancy I was sweating constantly! It was so embarassing, nothing would make it stop, no toner, no powder, nothing! I'm glad that part's over.
Tass said…
I'm not pregnant but I have the Gentle gel cleanser which I also use with my Clarisonic and it's AMAZING. Leaves my skin so soft. I've got the thermal water spray too but I'm saving that for the supposed heatwave xx
TheDolceGirl said…
Hello,dear.. It's interesting we actually pregnant at the same time.. meaning.. I've reading your blog for a while now.. I don't really write much but I do read it a lot!
So yes, I am 21 weeks too.. due in september(30th) so I guess you around that time too.
My skin have been going bananas too, I had to switch to Cetaphil for sensitive skin bar soap and lotion.
Now.. my skin is glowing..:) However, I am having a boy so maybe that's why.
I do think you will have a girl.. just because you mentioned very dry skin:)
xoxo.. and Good Luck to us!
TheDolceGirl said…
Hello,dear.. It's interesting we actually pregnant at the same time.. meaning.. I've reading your blog for a while now.. I don't really write much but I do read it a lot!
So yes, I am 21 weeks too.. due in september(30th) so I guess you around that time too.
My skin have been going bananas too, I had to switch to Cetaphil for sensitive skin bar soap and lotion.
Now.. my skin is glowing..:) However, I am having a boy so maybe that's why.
I do think you will have a girl.. just because you mentioned very dry skin:)
xoxo.. and Good Luck to us!
ellinelle said…
..wonderful post Muhsine .. oh yes I was pregnant 4 years ago and my hormones was driving me crazy ..Avene are great brand , but at the moment I use Avon anew - the most amazing creams ever or sensitive skin ..
I only used olive oil for belly and thights and no strechmarks but I do agree it depends of the skin and for every woman is different ..

p.s you MUST read Polly Williams - the raise and fall of yummy mummy , it's the best book to read while or after pregnancy ..honestly - it's worth reading :)
Unknown said…
Congratulations on your pregnncy, hope it's going well! I used Mama Mio products when i was pregnant, it worked miracles, i have no stretch marks and went back to a size 8 within a year. I've recently done a post on my top pregnancy tips. Check it out! http://bit.ly/m2gxy9
So glad i found your blog, i used to love The Gloss Goss blog and havent found a good one like that since until now! Wohoo! :) x
LAURVANE said…
Avène products are soooo goood!!
You know that you can use the Extremely gentle cleanser with water? (like the gel cleanser) And it's so good! Live your skin soft, do not burn your eyes AT ALL and take your makeup so well!
deniz said…
Your skin is glowing! French pharmacy cosmetics are the best- simple, effective and gentle.
I'm not pregnant or anything but my skin has always been in somewhat an identity crisis; between crazy dry and oily.
I recently switched to french pharmacy products after reading your post and now my skin is looking its best since, let's say pre-puberty! I take off my makeup with Bioderma's cleansing water, then wash my face with cool water and spritz Avene's thermal water spray, then put on Embryolisse's famous lait-creme concentré. I use Avene's gentle scrub after every bath, so effective and gentle it's ridiculous.

Popular Posts